What if I want to participate, but have extenuating circumstances that will cause me to miss one/a few rehearsals? (e.g., out of town, vacation, summer camp, etc.)
No problem! Students who want to be in the Summer School Marching Band, but must miss one/a few rehearsals due to other unavoidable conflicts will still be able to participate and receive credit for class participation. A student with unavoidable conflicts may miss a minimal amount of class meetings and still be able to achieve the class credit requirements by serving make up hours.
What if I want to participate, but have extenuating circumstances that will cause me to miss many rehearsals? (e.g., out of town, prolonged vacation, etc.)
Still no problem! Students who want to be in the Summer School Marching Band, but are unable to meet the clock hour requirement, may still participate on ‘audit’ status. Students who participate in audit status will still benefit from all of the instruction, performance, and travel opportunities of the program. They simply will not be awarded academic credit if they cannot meet the required clock hours. Audit status students are required to pay tuition to cover the instructional, equipment, and travel costs for their participation. Audit status is a perfectly acceptable alternative for some students and some situations each summer. Please contact Mr. Miller with any questions about audit status participation.
What does the $100 tuition cover?
- One semester of summer school academic class credit for marching band
- All instructional staff
- All uniform/equipment with the exception of your band/guard shoes-new ones are $25.00, used ones are $10.00). Students have the opportunity to fund raise both their class tuition and their shoe cost.
- Band camp/tour expenses subsidization
What if I cannot afford the tuition?
Register for the course and come talk with the directors. We will do what we can to help you out. Money should never hold back somebody who wants to achieve. Through the tireless efforts of our Band Parents, we have fund raising opportunities in place that help deserving students to help themselves every year.
What criterion are class credit and grading based upon?
- Punctuality, attendance, preparation, and conduct at class rehearsals/performances.
- Quality of work (e.g. skills, performance tests, memorization of music/drill, etc.).
- Quality of effort (e.g. work-ethic, skill improvement, rehearsal participation, personal practice).
- Successful completion of fall Marching Band season performance commitments.